Monday

March 2006 - Pandora.com

Welcome to the first monthly posting of my

"Site of the Month"

Every week I spend many, many hours surfing the internet for products, news, reviews, events, trends, origins, the history and the future of technology and computing.

Each month I will post a link here to a new, cool, hot, fun, interesting or useful site that I think everyone should check out. Not every site every month will be of interest to everyone, but you never know, so check it out.

I am committed to safe surfing on the internet, so you can trust that any link I post here (or anywhere else in my blogs) is 100% genuine and will not cause any pop-ups, spyware or viruses.

So lets get to this (our first) month's "Site of the Month".

This site answers the question "Can you help me discover more music that I like?" It is a product of the Music Genome Project, "the most comprehensive analysis of music ever".

They have taken the essence of the songs of over 10,000 artists and broken their "DNA" down into hundreds of fundamental "genes", capturing their unique identity.

What does this mean for you? Well, with Pandora you create your own individual "radio" stations, based on the name of an artist or song, and then listen as other songs with a similar melody, harmony and rhythm, or instrumentation, orchestration, and arrangement, or even lyrics, and of course singing and vocal harmony, are played for you.











What you end up with is a discovery process that takes you to new artists, albums and songs that you've never heard before but are likely to enjoy because they share the same musical attributes and qualities. It opens up a whole new world of music. You can't help but think "This is SO COOL!"

For me, I've stopped ripping (copying) my CD's to my computer to playback with the popular music players. I don't need to build playlists anymore and shuffle is a thing of the past.

It really is like having my own personal radio station that plays nothing but the music I like, one song after another, commercial free. I can pause the playback anytime I want, I can skip a song I don't like or don't want to hear, I can rate each song, add them to my favourites, or even post them to my blog.
Try it out! There's a little bit (or a lot) of music loving in all of us, and this is sure to be a treat to your ears.

Please give me (and the other readers here) your feedback on this site-of-the-month. Let us know what you think, what you like (or dislike) and how your experience affected you.

Thanks for reading, and remember - Live it, Live!

Troy Roach
OnSite Technology
519-40-GEEKS
519-404-3357
www.onsitetechnology.ca

Visit my other blog "Insight on Technology" for my views on current technology, trends, issues and other stuff.

No comments: